May 28, 2024  
2021-2022 Catalog 
2021-2022 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

College Costs

2021-2022 Tuition/Fees/Housing/Meal Plans

Tuition and fees must be paid by the first day of class effective at the beginning of the fall term.

Nebraska resident (all credit hours taken)   $102
Out-of-State (all credit hours taken)   $123
Facility Fee   $9
Student Activities Fee   $3
Graduation Fee (one-time, nonrefundable)   $35
Deposit (refundable damage/surety deposit)   $150
14-Meal Plan (per week) Single Double
  Eisenhower, Roosevelt, Washington Halls N/A $4,680
  Homestead Hall $4,680 $4,525
17-Meal Plan (per week) Single Double
  Eisenhower, Roosevelt, Washington Halls N/A $4,730
  Homestead Hall $4,730 $4,575
Deposit (refundable damage/surety deposit)   $150
14-Meal Plan (per week) Single Double
  Pioneer Hall N/A $3,545
  Prairie, Meadow Halls $4,200 $4,045
Note: Individual programs may require an additional expenditure for such items as tools, special uniforms, insurance, or other costs. Estimated expenses can be found online for each program by viewing the costs and info link, or you may contact the campus Student Affairs Office for information regarding the costs of a specific program.

Tools, Uniforms and Personal Protective Equipment

The hands-on nature of Programs of Study at Southeast Community College equips students with the technical skills necessary to be successful in the workplace as well as the professional standards for their chosen career. The College supplies the majority of the tools and equipment used by the students in the programs. However, students in some programs are required to purchase tools, uniforms and personal protective equipment.

For programs requiring the purchase of tools, uniforms and personal protective equipment, detailed lists are available for each program in the Campus Store and the Admissions Office. Uniforms are available through the Campus Store. Tool companies visit the College throughout the school year.

Students are strongly encouraged to carry insurance for their personally owned equipment.

If you are applying for financial aid, these items are factored into the total cost of attendance for these programs. Please see the Financial Aid section.

Other Charges

  • Students should expect costs for books, tools, supplies, uniforms, travel, student activities fees, and other educational items. Costs will vary depending on the requirements of each program and the needs of the individual.
  • Cost estimates are available for each Program of Study. Each program has an informational flyer which you can view by clicking on the “Costs and Info” link on the program’s webpage, or students can contact the campus Admissions Office for more information.

Tuition Information

Residency Requirements

To be eligible to register at resident tuition rates at SCC, Nebraska residency must be established according to the provisions of Nebraska revised statute Section 85-502 or be a covered individual under the Veterans’ Access to Care through Choice, Accountability, and Transparency Act of 2014 known as the “Choice Act.”

Resident Status

An individual will qualify as a resident of the state of Nebraska for tuition purposes at SCC if the standards set forth in any one of the designated eight (8) categories are met as defined in the statute:

  1. An individual who is a graduate of an accredited Nebraska senior high school, or has previously been enrolled at SCC as a resident student.
  2. An individual who has married a resident of Nebraska.
  3. A person of legal age who is dependent for federal income tax purposes of a parent or guardian who has established a home in Nebraska.
  4. A minor whose parent(s) or guardian who for a period of six months have established a home in Nebraska where such parent(s) or guardian is habitually present with the bona fide intention of making Nebraska their permanent place of residence.
  5. A person of legal age or an emancipated minor who for a period of six months shall have established a home in Nebraska where they are habitually present, and shall verify by documentary proof that they intend to make Nebraska their permanent residence. (Examples that may satisfy Nebraska residency: voter registration, Nebraska driver’s license, vehicle registration, payroll records, apartment lease agreement.)
  6. An individual who is an alien and who for a period of at least two years has established a home in Nebraska where they are habitually present with the bona fide intention of becoming a permanent resident alien of the United States and making Nebraska their permanent residence.
  7. An individual who is a dependent of a permanent full-time staff member of SCC, the University of Nebraska system, one of the Nebraska state colleges, or one of the other  community college areas.
  8. An individual on active duty with the armed services of the United States who is assigned a permanent duty station in Nebraska, or a dependent of an individual who is a member of the armed services assigned to a permanent duty station in Nebraska.

Any student classified as a non-resident and believes they may qualify as a resident must file a Residency Application form before the end of the fourth week of the term for which the tuition fee was charged. Residency Application forms, as well as further information regarding residency classification, are available from each campus Registration & Records Office. It is the student’s responsibility to initiate a change for residency status, provide documentation, and schedule an appointment with the Dean of Enrollment or the Administrative Director of Registration & Records.

Choice Act

An individual will qualify for resident tuition rates at SCC if eligibility is met under the “Choice Act.” The Choice Act offers in-state tuition rates to qualified veterans and their dependents, regardless of state residency status. The Choice Act ensures access and affordability to postsecondary education for veterans and their dependents.

The following “covered individuals” are eligible for in-state tuition rates and fees under the Choice Act:

  • A veteran who lives in the state (regardless of formal in-state residence status) in which the higher education institution is located and enrolls within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • A spouse or child using transferred benefits who lives in the state (regardless of formal in-state residence status) in which the higher education institution is located and enrolls within three years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in the state (regardless of formal in-state residence status) in which the higher education institution is located and enrolls within three years of the service member’s death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

Students who are likely to be most affected by the Choice Act are newly discharged veterans planning to attend college in states where they last served on active duty but have not yet established residency. Students also will be impacted if they transfer to a postsecondary institution in another state and do not meet residency requirements there. Dependents of veterans are another group that will be able to take advantage of the Choice Act in-state tuition opportunities and may not have been covered under some states’ policies. For more information visit: factsheet.pdf.

Tuition Payment Policy

Full payment of tuition, student services fees and room and board charges are due no later than the beginning of a term, or according to established campus payment deadlines. Payment is due immediately for class registrations that occur after the beginning of the term. Non-payment of tuition and fees may affect enrollment status. SCC accepts VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express credit cards for payment.


Paper billing statements are not mailed. Students are automatically billed through electronic billing. E-bills are sent out to the student’s email address on or before the 20th of the month. The online billing statement also is available on The Hub.


All financial obligations to the College must be paid before a student may register for any future courses and before transcripts, awards and credentials may be released. Financial obligations include, but are not limited to, tuition and fees, college loans, library and parking fines.

However, if an organization or business coordinates customized/contract training with SCC and one of their employees has an existing financial obligation to SCC, that employee is allowed to attend training. After passing the course, a certificate will be provided if one were associated with the class/workshop. This policy only pertains to credit and non-credit classes provided to an organization/business as part of customized/contract training and is not open enrollment for the general public.

The College will charge $30 for every insufficient funds check.

Tuition Payment Options

A payment plan option is available through Nelnet Campus Commerce. A payment plan provides an option for budgeting tuition and other education expenses. Students may enroll in a payment plan at

Nelnet Campus Commerce Payment Plan option(s) allows a student to:

  • Arrange for monthly payments
  • Make a down payment IMMEDIATELY and arrange for monthly payments
  • Pay in full IMMEDIATELY

You will be able to make payment(s) by:

  • Automatic payments from your checking or savings account
  • Credit/debit card

Cost to Participate (nonrefundable):

  • $25 enrollment fee per term
  • $30 returned payment fee if a payment is returned

Tuition Refunds

Federal regulations require that an institution’s refund/repayment policy be available to all students. The following information is provided in compliance with federal regulation.

The amount of time the student attends as a percent of the total course length will be the method of the computation.

Calendar Days: All days are included in the computation of calendar days, including Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, and weekdays.

Automatic Computer Calculations: The percent of time elapsed is automatically calculated by the College computer system and based on calendar days from the first day of class.

Last Date To Drop A Credit Class And Receive A Tuition Refund

You are entitled to a 100% refund for any credit class officially dropped prior to 7.5% of the time elapsed since the first day of the start of class, including Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, and weekdays.

No refund is allowed after 7.51% of the time has elapsed since the first day of the start of class, including Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, and weekdays. Your transcript will not show any registration data if you drop prior to the 7.5% point. Specific drop dates for individual classes are published each term in the Credit Class Schedule. For more information, go to The Hub at

Please note that refunds are not automatic. To obtain a refund or adjustment on your account, you must drop the class online using WebAdvisor for Students or submit an “Official Drop/Add Form for Credit Classes” to the Campus Student Affairs Office prior to the deadline for dropping and receiving a refund. Refunds will not be granted after these deadlines.

Refunds for classes cancelled by the College are automatically processed, and you are not required to submit a drop form.

Electronic Refunds

Electronic payment of refunds is the FASTEST, safest and most convenient method for you to receive your refund. You can sign up on The Hub via WebAdvisor for Students for an electronic payment option. Go to The Hub at

The College recommends that you sign up to have refunds transferred electronically to your existing bank account. If you do not currently have a bank account, the College has arranged with Union Bank & Trust Company of Lincoln to provide the option of a Simply Free Checking account or a Union Bank Savings Account. You may start the process of opening a Union Bank account via WebAdvisor, or you may stop at any Union Bank branch office to open an account. Students are not required to open an account with Union Bank and are free to open an account at the bank of their choice.

If you do not sign up for electronic payment of refunds, a check will be processed at the same time that funds are electronically transferred to other students. Depending upon the day of the week, holidays, and the speed of mail delivery, paper checks may take up to 10 days or more to reach you. Checks are processed off-site and are not available for pickup. Paper checks will be mailed to your current address on file with SCC.

If you are having your check deposited electronically, please check your bank account online (if your bank provides online access) to verify when your refund was deposited.

Non-credit Class Refund

You are entitled to a 100% refund for any non-credit class officially dropped prior to the start date of the class. No refund is allowed if the class is dropped on or after the start date of the class.

Official Withdrawals

When you officially withdraw from ALL classes, before 60% of the term has elapsed, the campus Financial Aid Office will calculate how much of your financial aid must be returned to the U.S. Department of Education. Students called to non-training active military duty should provide documentation to the Dean of Student Affairs.

Deadline for Dropping a Class and Receiving a Grade of “W”

The deadline for dropping a standard 16-week term class and receiving a grade of “W” is the 75% point from the first day of the term. Student-initiated drops which occur between the 7.51% of the time elapsed since the first day of the class and prior to the drop deadline will receive a grade of “W.” You may request a drop (awarding of a grade of “W”) after the drop deadline for dropping classes, only if extenuating circumstances exist. Personal problems such as illness, job change or a move out of town may be considered by individual instructors and approved by the Division Dean.

Unofficial Withdrawals

A student who receives all “F” grades or a combination of all “F,” “W,” or “NP” grades is considered to have UNOFFICIALLY withdrawn from classes. A student receiving Federal Title IV financial aid funds who drops out without notifying the College is considered to have made an unofficial withdrawal.

Step 1: Determine how much Federal Title IV financial aid the student is entitled to use or the amount earned by attending classes.

The date that the student officially drops all classes is the official date that is used to calculate the percentage of time the student was enrolled in the term and how much aid the student was entitled to receive or “earned.”

Step 2: Determine how much of the Federal Title IV aid must be returned to the U.S. Department of Education and/or the student/parent loan lender.

The “earned” percentage is subtracted from 100% to determine the “unearned” amount of Federal Title IV aid.

Step 3: Determine who must return the unearned U.S. Department of Education aid.

This may be the College, the student, or in some cases, both the College and the student. The unearned percentage also is used to determine, if necessary, how much the College must return of the federal funds which were received as payment for tuition, fees, books, room and board, and other approved institutional charges. The difference between the Total Unearned Federal Title IV aid and the amount of Unearned Aid due from the school is the amount of Unearned Federal Title IV aid due from the student.

Once it is determined how much Federal Title IV aid must be returned, the federal funds must be returned in the order specified by the law. This priority order is as follows:

  1. Federal Direct Loan
  2. Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
  3. Federal Pell Grant
  4. Federal SEOG Grant
  5. Iraq/Afghanistan Service Grant

NOTE: Federal Work Study earnings are exempt from the calculations.

Obtaining a Refund of Title IV Funds

SCC has contracted with a third party service provider for the processing of direct payments of Title IV funds on behalf of SCC under a Tier 1 relationship.

To obtain a refund of Title IV funds:

  • SCC does not require the student to open or obtain an account/access device offered through the third party service provider
  • Options to receive Title IV payments include:
    • A check will be mailed to the student at address on file if no other option is selected or
    • ACH bank transfer to account designated by the student
  • All Title IV payments are generated with the same process regardless of how the student has chosen to receive payment.  Please allow an additional 3 to 10 days business days for delivery by United States Parcel Service if the refund is being made by check.
  • Students can modify payment/banking options by following instructions available on the HUB. Changes must be made 72 hours prior to the refund date.


Refund Policy for Cafeteria/Residence Halls

The cafeteria/residences hall refund policies are separate from tuition refund policies.


If a student wishes to terminate a residence hall contract (Beatrice or Milford), they must secure approval of termination before a refund can be made. Detailed information regarding refunds of housing deposits or fees can be found in the Housing Reservation Contract or by contacting the Residence Life Office.

Disciplinary action:

No refund will be made if a student is suspended or expelled from the residence hall and/or cafeteria due to disciplinary action.

Refunds for Approved Releases of Housing Contracts:

Residence hall/cafeteria refunds for those who pay, enter and withdraw from the College will follow this specific refund schedule. The non-refundable portion will be charged to the student’s account. Students should contact the Residence Life Office in writing or via email to cancel a contract.

Refunds for approved releases for housing payments are calculated from the first day of the term. They are:

  • 1-7 calendar days: 80% will be refunded.
  • 8-14 calendar days: 60% will be refunded.
  • 15-21 calendar days: 40% will be refunded.
  • 22 calendar days or later: no refund.
  • For 8-week Co-op sessions, the calendar days begin at the start of the semester in which the Co-op session is included, regardless of whether it is a first 8-week or second 8-week Co-op session since the room arrangements for all Co-op students must be made before the beginning of the semester.
  • For 8-week, 5-week or 3-week summer sessions, the calendar days begin at the start of the summer term since room arrangements are made before the beginning of the first day of the summer term.
  • Exceptional circumstances, such as no longer being eligible for coursework in a second 8-week session, may be considered for an approved release by the Residence Life Manager or Campus Dean of Students.

Contracts must be canceled 30 days or more in advance of the term for students to receive a refund of any housing deposit paid. Cancelations within 30 days or after the start of the semester will result in a forfeit of the deposit. Cancelations must be sent to the Residence Life Office in writing or via email.