Jul 23, 2024  
2023-2024 Catalog 
2023-2024 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]



Getting Started at Southeast Community College

Our Admissions staff welcomes your calls, visits, and questions. Our staff is dedicated to helping you select a Program of Study and assist you in achieving your educational goals. We invite you to attend a Discovery Day or career day or schedule a visit to one of our campuses to see our exceptional instructional lab and classroom spaces and to meet with instructors for first-hand information about the programs.

Information regarding admission to any program can be obtained from the Admissions Office on any of the SCC campuses or at www.southeast.edu/steps-for-admission/.

If you are unsure of your career goals, or where to begin the college search process, our Admissions staff will help you get started on your Path to Possible! The admissions process is tailored to students’ needs and includes a discussion of student interests, values, and skills; a review of various Programs of Study; selection of programs for further exploration; discussion of program requirements; explanation of career options available in various fields of study; and referral to faculty or an advisor. Services are available to prospective students, current and visiting students, alumni, and the general public.

The admissions and enrollment process is easy. Please review the information below and visit www.southeast.edu/academics to access online forms and additional information regarding specific program requirements. We’ve also provided a New Student Checklist to assist you through these steps.

Please note: If you plan to enroll in a few courses, do not plan to receive financial aid and are not seeking a degree from SCC, you do not need to apply for admission. Registration for individual courses as a visiting student can be completed with assistance from an Admissions Counselor and/or at the Registration & Records Office. Individuals not seeking a degree from SCC and who desire to register for classes online should complete the Visiting Student Application at www.southeast.edu/applynow.

New Student Checklist

We’re committed to helping you achieve your goals! Follow the steps in this guide to enroll at Southeast Community College.

Explore Your Path to Possible at SCC

  • Meet with an Admissions Counselor

If you’re unsure about what you would like to study or where to start, let us help you! Our admissions staff has specific knowledge about SCC’s Programs of Study and are ready to help you select a program and/or courses that best fit your career and transfer goals. Visit www.southeast.edu/admissionsadvising to schedule an appointment. 

  • Visit Campus

We offer in-person tours as well as virtual tours to meet your needs. Visit with students, faculty, and staff and see our modern classrooms and labs. You’ll also have the chance to learn more about financial aid and support services. To schedule a tour or register for an event, visit www.southeast.edu/visitscc. You can also contact the Admissions Office on the campus where your Program of Study is located. 

Apply to an SCC Program of Study
  •  Complete an Application for Admission

Apply online at www.southeast.edu/applynow. If you are filling out an application for the first time, you will need to create an account. Please check your email for instructions on how to activate your account. You will also receive a follow-up email from us once you submit your application. Applications also are available at any SCC campus or Learning Center. There is no cost to apply.

  • Submit Course Placement Scores

Submit ACT, SAT, or Next Generation ACCUPLACER scores to the Admissions Office at any SCC location or by email to admissions@southeast.edu. Reading test scores must be from within the last five years and math scores from within the last three years.

If you need to complete a placement test, visit www.southeast.edu/testingcenter to find a testing center near you and schedule an appointment. Official transcripts showing that you’ve completed college coursework in English and mathematics, with a grade of C or higher, are also accepted for placement. 

Please note that you’re welcome to take the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER as part of your campus visit. Please let us know and we’ll make it happen!

  • Send Transcripts

Submit your final high school and official college transcripts for any other college credit you’ve earned to the Admissions Office at any SCC location or by email at admissions@southeast.edu. College transcripts may be sent electronically or mailed directly from the institution where the credit was earned.

On-Campus Housing

  • Apply for Housing

Please visit southeast.edu/livingoncampus to learn about the housing options, costs, and the reservation process. Students are encouraged to apply for housing earlier as space is limited.

Registering for Classes

  • Check your email

Regularly check your email for important updates regarding registering for classes, scholarships, financial aid requests, and more. 

  • Class Registration

​All new students must participate in New Student Enrollment (NSE) before registering for classes. You will receive an email closer to the start of the registration period for the term you plan to begin. The email will provide you details on how to access your account, complete NSE, and when you will hear from your College Advisor to register for classes.

Paying for SCC

  • Complete the FAFSA

All financial aid at SCC begins with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Have FAFSA questions? Please visit www.southeast.edu/financialaid/. Complete the FAFSA at https://studentaid.gov.

  • Apply for Scholarships

Let us help you pay for college! Visit www.southeast.edu/scholarships to apply for SCC Educational Foundation Scholarships.

  • Military and Veterans Services

​If you are an active military member, veteran, spouse, or dependent, you can receive Veteran Affairs education benefits through SCC. To get more information or apply for benefits, contact the Veteran’s Specialist at 402-437-2614 or www.southeast.edu/veterans-services.

  • Payment Plan

​SCC offers a payment plan giving you an opportunity to break your tuition balance into affordable monthly payments. Visit mycollegepaymentplan.com/southeast.edu for more information.

Admission to Southeast Community College

Complete an Application for Admission

Students desiring to be admitted to a Program of Study must complete an Application for Admission and fulfill all admissions requirements for the specific program. The Application for Admission is available at www.southeast.edu/applynow. There is no cost to apply.

Demonstration of College Readiness and Placement Testing

SCC requires competency in English and mathematics in order to succeed in the selected Program of Study. All applicants for admission are evaluated on basic math, reading, and writing academic skills to better determine placement into courses and Programs of Study. Information for specific Programs of Study is available from Admissions and the Testing & Assessment Center.

All students seeking admission to a Program of Study must demonstrate college readiness. This can be verified via a number of evaluative methods:

Completion of Assessment/Course Placement Test

Completion of placement testing occurs through at least one of the following basic skill assessment/placement tests:

  • Next-Generation ACCUPLACER
  • ACT
  • SAT

These scores may be reported by the testing service (ACT, SAT, etc.) listed on the high school transcript or submitted by the student (please note that the student’s full name and test date must be visible on the score report).

Please note the following:

  • English and math courses require specific test score levels as prerequisites to register.
  • Reading score results must be from within the past five (5) years. Please note that reading test scores are used for placement in English courses.
  • Math score results must be from within the past three (3) years.
  • All test scores will be reviewed and evaluated by Testing & Assessment staff. Any results that show a discrepancy or cannot be authenticated will require an in-person retest of the individual. 

A student who cannot fulfill any one of these criteria should discuss the available alternatives with an SCC Admissions or a Testing & Assessment staff member.

Please contact any of the SCC Testing & Assessment Centers or SCC Learning Centers to learn more about placement testing, retesting, and arranging a time to take the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER test. Retesting is possible for individuals who believe their course placement testing results do not represent their current ability. If a student has previously tested in the last five (5) years, a $15 retest fee must be paid in advance of the retesting session. See the Testing & Assessment section for additional information about retesting policies.

An assessment of English and math skills may also be accomplished through the evaluation of college transfer credit.

Postsecondary Credit

Students can meet placement requirements through prior successful postsecondary coursework (grade of C or better). If approved, eligible transfer credit can be used for or in combination with test scores for placement.

Official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions must be sent directly from the institution where the credit was earned to any of the College’s Admissions Offices. Transcripts from nationally accredited colleges, approved by the U.S. Department of Education, will be evaluated to determine if the student meets college entrance requirements. To be eligible for use as placement:

  • Courses must be of three (3) or more credit hours from an accredited postsecondary institution with a grade of “C” or better in each of the areas of English and/or math.
  • English and mathematics courses must meet the minimum program requirements.
  • For developmental coursework, mathematics courses that have been completed within the last three (3) years and English courses that have been completed within the last five (5) years with a grade of “C” or better may be used to fulfill course prerequisites.

Placement testing will be required of any student unable to provide proof of completed coursework based on the terms noted above.

Official electronic and paper transcripts sent directly from the institution where the credit was earned will be accepted.

High School or GED® Diploma

Students may meet this requirement by self-certification on the Application for Admission or by submitting a copy of their high school or GED® transcript. A copy of the high school or GED® transcript is not required for admission unless the high school/GED® information the student provides on the Application for Admission is determined to be inaccurate, discrepant, or incomplete at which point a transcript will be requested.

Students who have not graduated from high school or who do not have a GED certificate must earn a GED diploma before admission to a Program of Study. Contact Adult Education for more information regarding the GED. Due to federal financial aid policies, federal financial aid is not available to students who have not graduated from high school or who have not completed a GED.

If a student is unable to provide a high school/GED® transcript due to situations beyond their control (including, but not limited to political unrest in foreign countries, natural disasters, etc.) the College will follow the Department of Education’s guidelines for verifying completion of high school/GED®. Contact the Admissions Office for more information. If requested documentation cannot be provided or the requested information is incomplete or found to be inconclusive, the Application for Admission cannot be completed.

Although it may not be required that a student submit a copy of their high school or GED® transcript, it is strongly encouraged that they do so. Some Programs of Study may require this documentation for licensing purposes, and financial aid could also be delayed if a transcript is required to complete the Financial Aid process.

Re-Admissions Steps

We are delighted to welcome you back to SCC! Our Admissions staff is available to answer your questions and assist with this process.

Former SCC students who were accepted and once enrolled in a Program of Study and who have not been enrolled for one or more years need to reapply for admission to be eligible for re-entry into their former program or a new Program of Study.

Readmission is subject to available space and current requirements established by the College and the Program of Study.

Additional Admissions Requirements & Information

Some programs require additional forms as part of their application process. Applicants will be notified by the Admissions Office of any additional information required by their chosen Program of Study.

Forms can be obtained from the Admissions Office on the campus where the program is located or at www.southeast.edu.

After the application has been processed, the Admissions Office will mail written correspondence to applicants. Applicants are welcome to call the Admissions Office on the campus to which they applied for updates and questions regarding their status.

Please note students admitted to a Program of Study are expected to abide by the rules and regulations of the program and complete the courses required by that program. A student may be withdrawn from a Program of Study for not following these guidelines.

Age Requirements

Sixteen (16) years of age or older: Any person 16 years of age or older are eligible to enroll in SCC credit and Continuing Education classes provided they meet any stated course prerequisites. Any person applying for admission to a Program of Study at the College who is 16 years of age or older must self-certify that they have earned a high school/GED® certificate or will have earned one by the time they begin their Program of Study.

Persons under sixteen (16) years of age: Any person under 16 years of age will not be accepted for admission into a Program of Study. A person under 16 years of age may enroll in credit classes provided they meet any stated class prerequisites and have special permission from the campus Dean of Students or college Associate Vice President of Student Enrollment. Contact the Registration & Records Office to obtain a permission form. Persons under 16 years of age may enroll in special non-credit classes offered through the Continuing Education Division. Other special enrollment opportunities for students under 16 years of age are identified in the course description and/or advertisement.

High School Students

Eligible high school students in good standing may enroll in college credit classes. High school students must meet any stated class prerequisites prior to the start of the class. Contact the Registration & Records Office for additional information.

Distance learning/Dual Credit/Southeast Nebraska Career Academy Partnership/Career Academy

High school students enrolling in distance learning/dual credit/SENCAP/Career Academy classes must meet all of the College course prerequisites prior to the start of class. Contact the campus Registration & Records Office for additional information.

Students Applying for Admission to More than One Program

Can I be accepted to the same program on more than one campus?
For the same program offered on more than one campus, a student can only be admitted to the program at one location for a given year and term.

Current students desiring to transfer from their current Program of Study on one campus to the same program on a different campus must contact the Program Chair at the second location to determine if an opening is available. If an opening is available, the Program Chair will grant permission for the student to transfer and register. If an opening is not available, the student must complete the steps for admission to a Program of Study in order to reserve a place for a future term in the program at the second location.

Can I be admitted to more than one program in the same year and term?
Yes, students can be admitted to more than one program for the same term and year as long as the program’s schedule of classes does not conflict. Contact the Admissions Office for more information.

Can I be admitted to different programs in different years and/or terms?
Yes, a student can be admitted into two or more different programs in different years and terms. (Contact the campus Admissions Office for additional information.)

Can I receive financial aid for more than one Program of Study at the same time?
Students may receive financial aid for more than one Program of Study if the degree programs are of the same academic level. If the student has been fully admitted into both programs, Financial Aid may combine the enrolled credit hours to determine eligibility for aid.

Any student taking classes in more than one Program of Study is strongly encouraged to visit with a Financial Aid representative to discuss their specific situation.

Students planning/expecting to receive financial aid are subject to federal restrictions that may limit their options. Please click Financial Aid for more information. 

Enrollment Status

Students who attend SCC have a variety of educational goals. Throughout your time at SCC, you will see descriptions, policies, and notifications with a variety of terminology related to your status as a student. To help you identify your status, please refer to the definitions below.

Student Status is based on enrollment in two terms (semesters) during a continuous 12-month period.

  • Full-time = 12 or more credit hours per term
  • Part-time = fewer than 12 credit hours per term
  • Three-quarter time = 9 through 11.5 credit hours per term
  • Half-time = 6 through 8.5 hours per term
  • Less than half-time = fewer than 6 credit hours per term

Contact the campus Registration & Records Office for specific student enrollment history.

Visiting Students

Students may take courses at the College as a visiting student and are encouraged to complete the Visiting Student Application at www.southeast.edu/applynow. Visiting students may apply and register at any time during the registration period.

Visiting students are defined as:

  • Individuals not seeking a degree from SCC, but are taking credit classes for transfer, job advancement, or other purposes.

Visiting students are not eligible for Financial Aid. Refer to the Financial Aid Section of the Catalog for more information.

International Students

Southeast Community College welcomes international students. To ensure compliance with United States immigration laws, the following requirements exist for students applying to SCC requesting an I-20 (F-1 visa). Please note that the ESL series of courses at SCC is not a full-time program. SCC is not authorized to issue a student visa document (I-20) for international students to study ESL.

Below are the requirements that must be submitted prior to the issuance of an I-20 and to make your transition to SCC as easy as possible:

  1. Complete an Application for Admission and submit all required documents for the intended Program of Study.
  2. Submit certified copies of academic records, plus English translations where necessary. All transcripts are subject to review.
    1. High school transcripts and Leaving Certificates must include graduation dates and ending dates. Please note that U.S. high school transcripts must show a complete academic record that demonstrates a minimum of three (3) years of education.
    2. College transcripts from U.S. institutions must be sent directly from the former college/university to SCC.
    3. If you wish to have previously completed coursework evaluated for transfer credit, college transcripts from institutions outside of the U.S. must be evaluated by a credential evaluation consultant. College degrees obtained outside of the U.S. are only accepted when interpreted by transcript service members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services; visit www.naces.org/members.html to access a list of consultants. The student is responsible for the cost of the evaluation.
    4. Course syllabi and course descriptions must be submitted for all courses submitted for transfer credit evaluation for which the student desires to receive transfer credit. Documents must be submitted in English and translated by a credential evaluation service (see list of consultants at the above link). The student is responsible for the cost of the translation.
  3. Complete a College Admissions/Placement Test: Students may be asked to retake or provide new placement scores in instances where discrepant information is present, demographic information does not match, instances of reported academic dishonesty, or an unapproved testing environment as defined by the remote proctor service.
    1. ACT (use institutional code 4787). Test scores must be sent directly to the College by the testing organization. Or,
    2. SAT (use institutional code 1189). Test scores must be sent directly to the College by the testing organization. Or,
    3. A remote testing voucher for the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER may also be requested from an SCC Testing & Assessment Center. Please note testing locations for the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER vary by region outside of the United States and may not be available in all areas. For more information, contact an SCC Testing & Assessment Center at www.southeast.edu/testingcenter.

Students are encouraged to complete the placement exam prior to scheduling a TOEFL or IELTS exam as the exam requirement may be waived based on criteria stated below.

  1. Demonstrate English language proficiency. SCC accepts the following assessments.

a. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 61 for the internet version. Scores must be sent directly to the College from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) using institutional code 6795.

b. IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with a minimum overall band score of 6. Scores must be sent directly from IELTS Test Center. The English language proficiency test requirement may be waived by the Designated School Official (DSO) or Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) if the student has completed a college-level composition course with a grade of C or better at a US college/university, has achieved test scores for placement into ENGL 1010 at SCC, or the international student comes from a country where English is listed as the only official language.

  1. Submit a bank document demonstrating available liquid funds of a minimum of $25,000 for one year of attendance.
    1. The documentation of funds must be in English, must state the type of currency, and must be dated within 30 days of submission. Updated bank documents may be required prior to the issuance of the I-20.
    2. The financial requirement for F-1 student-athlete may be less based on awarded athletic scholarship amounts;  please note athletic scholarships or their value are not guaranteed and are at the sole discretion of SCC coaches. Student athletes must provide official documentation of the athletic scholarship amount from the coach for the DSO on their campus.
    3. F-1 students with F-2 dependents (spouse and/or children) coming to the U.S. are required to demonstrate additional support in the amount of $8,000 for each dependent in addition to the required $25,000 stated above.
  2. Complete and submit the Affidavit of Support Form dated within 30 days of submission. An updated Affidavit of Support Form may be required prior to issuance of the I-20. 
    1. All F-1 students must complete and sign part one of the Affidavit of Support form. Formal written signatures are required (electronic signatures are not accepted).
    2. If any funds are provided by a sponsor, submit the required signed Affidavit of Support form showing resources sufficient to cover the course of study and transportation expenses to and from the home country. Sponsors must complete part two of the Affidavit of Support form. Formal written signatures are required (electronic signatures are not accepted).
  3. Submit a copy of a valid passport.
  4. Complete the Certification of City of Birth form.

International Students Transferring from Another Institution

In addition to the requirements stated above, international students desiring to transfer to SCC should contact the DSO at the SCC campus they plan to attend as soon as possible.

Students are required to provide the SCC DSO with the following information:

  1. An official college transcript. The transcript must be sent directly to SCC from the student’s current US institution. 
  2. A copy of the student’s valid passport, visa, and I-94.
  3. A signed copy of the student’s current I-20 from the institution the student is currently attending. SCC does not accept students who have been or will be dismissed by any other college or university or who are in terminated status.
  4. A final decision regarding the transfer of an I-20 will not be made until all final official transcripts and grades are received.

Annual Vacation
Students are allowed to take their annual vacation during the summer term only. Students must register for a full-time course load in the term immediately following their annual vacation; please note that program course offerings will vary during the summer term, and some programs will require summer term enrollment. Students are required to submit their travel plans and/or annual vacation plans in writing via the Travel Authorization Form to the Designated School Official on their campus.

If a student plans to travel outside of the United States, they must secure the signature of the DSO on their I-20 prior to departing. Students should request the signature no later than one week prior to departing campus. Failure to secure the DSO signature may impact the student’s ability to re-enter the United States.

Authorization for Reduced Course Load
Students requesting a reduced course load must submit their request in writing to their campus Designated School Official; the request must include the student’s signature. Supporting documentation may be required based on the nature of the request.

Information for all International Students
To assist students in maintaining active status, SCC upholds the regulations of the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) that implements the Student Exchange and Visitors Information System (SEVIS). The student is responsible for maintaining their status while in the United States.

Students are expected to initiate and respond to communication with the College as necessary.

Talk with your Designated School Official first
F-1 students should speak with an SCC DSO if they plan to do any of the following:

  • Change your program, degree level, or class schedule.
  • Request a program extension.
  • Transfer to a new school.
  • Travel outside the United States or request a break from school.
  • Move to a new address, change telephone number, or obtain a new email address. Changes must be submitted to a DSO within 10 days of the change.
  • Seeking employment.
Designated School Officials

Designated School Official

Designated School Official

Designated School Official

Arriving in the U.S.
Per guidelines, students using an F-1 visa cannot enter the U.S. more than 30 days prior to the start of their Program of Study.

All international students are responsible for the following items to maintain their status.
Upon arrival to the United States, F-1 Students must:

  • Immediately contact the SCC DSO when you enter the United States to arrange an in-person appointment. Students are required to meet with a DSO no later than the program start date listed on Form 1-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.”
  • Notify the DSO of their local address, email address, and phone number when they report to SCC upon arrival. Failure to report address, email address, and phone number changes to the SCC DSO is a violation of the F-1 status.

While studying in the United States, F-1 students must:
Attend and pass all classes. If school is too difficult, students should speak with their DSO immediately.

  • If a student believes that they will be unable to complete their program by the end date listed on their Form I-20, they should talk with their campus DSO about requesting a possible program extension during the term prior to the student’s I-20 program end date.

  • Students must take a full course of study each term. Full-time means registering for, and completing, a minimum of 12 semester hours each and every term of attendance. In cases of extenuating circumstances, if a student believes they cannot study full-time, they should contact the campus DSO immediately; students should not drop courses until speaking with the DSO.

  • F-1 students are permitted to take only one (1) online/web course to maintain full-time status each term.

  • Students must meet with their academic advisor each term to select courses and register for classes.

  • International students who are on an F-1 Visa and hold an active I-20 with Southeast Community College will have a registration hold on their account. This hold will ensure proper registration and will assist in helping students maintain their status.

Practical Training for F-1 Students
An F-1 student may only work off campus after their request is approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

F-1 students are eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) during their Program of Study. CPT employment must be an integral part of an established curriculum, and the position must directly relate to the student’s major area of study.

F-1 students also are eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) during or following their Program of Study. OPT is a form of temporary employment that directly relates to the student’s Program of Study. OPT should be requested at least 90 days prior to the date of graduation; please note that approval from USCIS can take 4-6 months. Students interested in exploring OPT and CPT should visit with their campus Designated School Official.

On-Campus Employment
F-1 students are allowed to work on campus if a job is available. Students are limited to 20 hours of work a week during the academic term. Students who wish to work on campus should contact their campus DSO to ensure that the required documents are submitted. Please note that on-campus employment options are limited.

Upon Program Completion
F-1 students must take action to maintain legal status or depart the United States after completing their Program of Study.

Once you complete your Program of Study and any authorized period of practical training, F-1 students have 60 days after completion of your program (the program end date on your Form I-20) to leave the United States.

Visiting International Students
F-1 visa students authorized to attend another college can register for concurrent classes at SCC.

Tuition is charged at the non-resident rate. The student’s enrollment status is with the school that issued their I-20. Prior to registering for classes at SCC, students should check with the DSO at their home college/university, prior to registering for classes at SCC to remain in status.

Health Insurance
All F-1 visa students are responsible for purchasing and maintaining health insurance with a U.S.-based insurance company for costs associated with physician’s care, hospitalization, major medical procedures, and repatriation. SCC does not offer a health insurance policy or recommend a health insurance provider. The College does not provide healthcare services for students. Students are responsible for all necessary healthcare expenses.

F-1 visa students may be required to file forms with the Internal Revenue Service.

The following services are familiar with tax-related policies for international students. Please note that SCC does not endorse any particular service.

  • Sprintax
  • Glacier
  • VITA

SCC faculty and staff are not trained in taxation and cannot answer related questions. Students should contact the Internal Revenue Service (www.irs.gov) with questions.

Criminal Background Checks and Drug Testing

Criminal Background Checks

SCC works with a multitude of companies and agencies to provide experiences for our students. Many of these organizations require a completed Criminal Background Check (CBC) prior to allowing students to participate in experiences within their facilities. Due to this requirement, all students entering the program or course areas listed below are required to have a CBC including, but not limited to, the Adult and Child Abuse and Sex Offender Registries.

  • Dental Assisting
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Healthcare Services
  • Health - Continuing Education
  • Human Services
  • Long Term Care Administration
  • Medical Assisting
  • Medical Laboratory Technology
  • Nursing
         Associate Degree Nursing
         Practical Nursing
  • Paramedic and EMT
  • Pharmacy Technician
  • Physical Therapist Assistant
  • Polysomnographic Technology
  • Radiologic Technology
  • Respiratory Care
  • Surgical First Assist
  • Surgical Technology

The CBC will be completed before enrollment in courses in which the clinical/practicum, laboratory, or classroom experience requires the CBC. Additionally, registering for some courses or continued enrollment within a program may be contingent upon the completion of the background check. Each program will provide students with specific details, deadlines, and the following required forms:

  1. SCC Authorization and Disclosure for Criminal Background Check and Abuse Registry Checks
  2. DHHS Agency Request for Information from Adult and Child Abuse Neglect Register/Registry

A non-refundable service fee of $45 will be charged to your SCC student account at the time the background check is required or prior to registration for a particular course. The CBC will be conducted by Secured Data Services of Fremont, Nebraska.

SCC is responsible for reporting to all affiliate institutions the results and completion of the CBC by all students who will be interacting or attending experiences at the affiliate site. No student will be allowed to begin an SCC clinical/practicum/internship experience if the report has not been completed.

Please note, some programs may require specific CBCs and drug testing based on specific requirements for that profession. Check with Admissions or the Program of Study if you have further questions.

Students who are not continuously enrolled will be required to submit an additional CBC at their own expense.

Disqualifying Circumstances

A criminal history involving one or more felony offenses will generally be disqualifying. A criminal history involving only misdemeanor offenses will generally be disqualifying if the offense(s) involve:

  • a crime of violence
  • sexual assault
  • the abuse of a child, elder, or person with a disability, or a person under the care of the student in any type of medical or mental health setting
  • the unlawful use, possession, or sale of narcotics, or controlled substances
  • the offenses are so numerous or of such character to indicate that the student may pose a threat to the employees, clients, or property of the clinical program or College.

A conviction or arrest will not automatically disqualify an applicant from admission to a program or keep them from clinical/practicum experience. If you have questions or concerns about the CBC, please contact your division dean.

Considerations related to admission to a program include, but are not limited to:

  • The date, nature, and number of arrests and convictions;
  • The relationship that the arrest or conviction bears to the duties and responsibilities of the affected student in a clinical setting;
  • Successful efforts toward rehabilitation;
  • Rules and regulations of the clinical/practicum program;
  • Other criteria determined by College administrators to be relevant.

Decisions allowing continuance in a program in no way can be construed as a guarantee of licensure or certification upon graduation. Licensing boards make independent decisions about eligibility requirements and granting of licensure.

National Criminal History Record Check

Students admitted to the Early Childhood Education program are required to complete the National Criminal History Record Check fingerprinting process. This mandatory National Criminal History Record Check for Child Care is required of all persons working in/with children in child care settings and practicum experiences in licensed child care facilities/homes in the state of Nebraska.

The Early Childhood Education program and Admissions Office will provide students with information and the required forms to complete the process. 

This fingerprinting process is not part of the required SCC Criminal Background Check process and is not covered by financial aid. 

Failure to complete the process and/or if a criminal record is reported, students will be unable to complete required program courses and practicums. Contact the Division Dean for more information.

Drug Testing

Education of Health Science students at SCC requires collaboration between the College and clinical/practicum facilities. The educational process for these students cannot be completed without a quality clinical/practicum rotation. The College shares an obligation with the clinical facility to protect all patients from harm due to students who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol while in the clinical/practicum facility. The facilities require that SCC obtain a negative drug screen on all students prior to participating in their clinical/practicum rotation.

Student and Clinical Faculty Drug Screening Procedures

  1. Students admitted to a Health Sciences program at SCC who require a clinical/practicum rotation at a contracted healthcare facility will be required to submit to an initial drug test prior to the first clinical rotation.
  2. Drug testing will be conducted according to the procedures and standards specified by the affected clinical facility. Only drug and alcohol tests conducted by college-authorized agencies will be accepted. The cost of the drug test ($55) is paid through special fees.
  3. Further drug testing may be required of the student for cause. This testing will be required at the discretion of the College or the clinical agency. The cost ($55) of the drug testing will be the responsibility of the student.
  4. All Health Sciences students will be tested for the following drug categories: amphetamines/methamphetamines, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, cocaine and metabolites, marijuana metabolites, opiates, phencyclidine, alcohol, and propoxyphene. This list is subject to change. Testing for additional substances may occur based on clinical affiliation agreement requirements.
  5. The student must provide written consent to provide specimens for the purpose of analysis and release of information to SCC. If the student is under 18 years of age, the parent or legal guardian must sign the drug testing consent form in addition to the student. The consent form will be provided by the authorized agency on the day of the appointment.
  6. Students have the right to refuse to consent to drug testing. However, students who decline will not be able to start or complete a clinical/practicum rotation and will be unable to achieve the required clinical experience for any program/course. The refusal to consent to drug or alcohol testing may result in a student being dismissed from the program or course.
  7. The student will be provided with an instructional sheet of acceptable drug screening vendors, payment instructions, and procedural information.
  8. A notification indicating a “Negative” or “Positive” drug screen or “Further Testing Required” will be sent to the Dean of Health Sciences at SCC.
  9. The Medical Review Officer from the authorized agency will contact the student directly if “Positive” or “Further Testing Required” is noted.
  10. The results will be reviewed by the Dean of Health Sciences for verification and placement purposes.
  11. Students will not be allowed to hand-deliver drug screening test results to the Dean of Health Sciences.
  12. Students who receive altered results must return to the same testing location to re-test within 12 hours or less for the results to be accepted by the College. Altered test results will be assumed positive unless a documented re-test provides acceptable results.
  13. Any student who tests positive for a prohibited drug will be given the opportunity to contest the results if the failure is due to justifiable prescription drug use. If the failure is due to justifiable prescription drug use, the student may be permitted to participate in the clinical/program of the affected facility if it is determined the student may safely do so without jeopardizing patient safety. It is the student’s responsibility to provide proper documentation if they failed the drug screen due to justifiable prescription drug use. 
  14. If the positive test is not due to justifiable prescription drug use, the student will meet with the Dean of the Health Sciences to discuss withdrawal from the designated Health Sciences program or course. Depending on the circumstances, a positive drug test may make it impossible to place a student in a clinical setting and could result in dismissal from the program or course.
  15. Students could apply for re-admission into a Health Sciences program or course. The College will determine at its discretion whether a student will be readmitted based on, among other things, the circumstances relating to the failed drug test and the ability of the College to place the student in an appropriate clinical setting. Re-admission would be based upon the next possible program or course intake date and completion of additional drug evaluation and testing.
  16. Depending on the circumstances, the results of a positive drug test may be communicated to law enforcement authorities, the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, or other state agencies.
  17. The cost of drug testing is provided for informational purposes only and is subject to being increased at any time.

Registration & Records

Earning College Credit

Students receive credit hours based on the number of contact hours per week they are in class for a term. Successful completion of the course earns the student credit.

Definition of Credit Hour

Credit hour means the unit used to ascertain the educational value of coursework offered by the institution to students enrolling for such coursework, earned by such students upon successful completion of such coursework, and for which tuition is charged. A credit hour may be offered and earned in any of several instructional delivery systems, including, but not limited to, classroom hours, laboratory hours, clinical hours, practicum hours, cooperative work experience, and independent study.

Total Credit Hour Limit in a Term

Students may not register for more than 19 credit hours in a single term without prior approval. If a student is in a declared Program of Study and desires to enroll in more than 19 credit hours, they must contact the Instructional Dean who oversees their program. Visiting students must contact the Associate Vice President of Student Enrollment to request prior approval to exceed the 19 credit-hour enrollment.

Advanced Standing

Additionally, students may have the opportunity to receive credit through advanced standing. The three methods the College has established for students to gain advanced standing are: transfer credit, credit by waiver and credit by examination.

In order to be granted advanced standing credit:

  1. A student must be accepted for admission to an SCC degree program.
  2. A minimum of one-fourth (1/4) of the credit hours required for a degree must be completed at SCC, the degree-granting institution, except under statewide or college partnership agreements with the division deans’ approval.
  3. Up to three-fourths (3/4) of the credit hours required for a Program of Study may be waived through the three methods established for advanced standing; (credit by transfer, waiver and examination).
    1. Up to three-fourths (3/4) of the credits for advanced standing may be transfer credits, except under statewide or college partnership agreements with the division deans’ approval.
    2. Credit hours granted by waiver or examination or by any combination of waiver and examination may be awarded up to limits established by each division but may not exceed one-fourth (1/4) of the total credit hours required for a program award.
    Exceptions to #2, #3, #3a, or #3b must be approved by the Vice President for Instruction.

Please refer to the specifications listed in each of the following three (3) advanced-standing methods.

Transfer Credit

Southeast Community College (SCC) will accept credit hours for courses taken at accredited institutions approved by the U.S. Department of Education in which grades of “A”, “B” or “C” (or their equivalent) have been earned. Students must be degree-seeking with SCC in order to have the transcripts reviewed for transfer credit.

It is the student’s responsibility to provide SCC with official transcripts from the institutions they have attended for the review of transfer credit. The transfer evaluation is based on the program the student has been accepted into for the upcoming term. If a student changes to another program, the student needs to contact the Registration Office to have the credits re-evaluated. Grades and courses taken at other institutions will not replace grades in equivalent courses taken at SCC. Credits earned and accepted from a transfer institution are not used in the computation of a student’s grade point average at SCC, except for the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) calculations. All credits transferred in will be included in SAP. 

SCC will accept up to three-fourths of the program credits as transfer credits. Registration reviews transcripts for students that apply to the Health programs once the student has applied and official transcripts have been received regardless of the student’s application status. All other programs are reviewed once the student has been accepted to a program at Southeast Community College. Certain Health programs have a time limit on some courses being transferred in. These are listed on the individual program page of the catalog.

Students may need to provide additional documentation to SCC for courses to be evaluated. This may include the course syllabus, course description, or additional details. 

Courses that don’t meet our criteria may be transferred in as an elective based on a review by the program director or department chair. Examples include courses short on credit hours, short on content, or not an exact match to an existing course with SCC.

Once the evaluation has been completed, students will be mailed a copy of the transfer evaluation report. Questions on how the transferred courses fit the student’s program of study should be directed to the student’s advisor.

The Nebraska Transfer Initiative

Students have become increasingly interested in beginning their education at Southeast Community College and transferring to another institution to earn a four-year degree. SCC strives to make the transfer process as seamless as possible by maintaining special cooperative programs and transfer agreements with many colleges and universities.

Since 1995, Nebraska community colleges have been involved in the Nebraska Transfer Initiative regarding statewide common courses. The community colleges have increased the number of common statewide courses that are provided, what and how the courses will articulate and transfer to other colleges and universities, and an ongoing process for updating and assuring students that the coursework is up to date and accurate. Please visit transfer.nebraska.edu for more information.

It is important for students to know whether the courses in which they are registering meet the degree requirements of the institution to which they intend to transfer. Transfer planning starts with initial registration at SCC and continues until the student’s graduation.

TRANSFER REMINDERS: Many colleges will only accept classes with a grade of “C” or higher. Most colleges will not accept more than 66 semester (99 quarter) hours of credits transferred from a two-year college. SCC course with a prefix of less than 1000 are considered to be developmental and do not transfer.

Foreign Degrees

Colleges admitting students with foreign degrees must have a process in place to accurately determine the U.S. equivalency of the foreign degree.

The U.S. Department of Education does not evaluate foreign degrees. It is up to the individual school to determine if the foreign degree is equivalent to a U.S. degree.

If a student presents a foreign degree, SCC requires that the student have their transcript evaluated by an outside degree evaluation service. The cost of the evaluation will be paid by the student. The student should direct the evaluation service to provide the written equivalency report to the SCC Admissions Office.

The Financial Aid Office must receive the information before the student’s eligibility for financial aid can be determined. The student may use the degree evaluation service of their choice.

A listing of organizations providing these services can be found at www.naces.org/members.html.

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)

PLA is the evaluation and assessment of life and work experiences for college credit. Through prior learning, students have the opportunity to decrease tuition costs and shorten the time to graduation. SCC is committed to ensuring PLA meets state, accreditation, and Department of Education regulations.

More information can be found at: SCC PLA Policy 

Credit by Waiver

To apply for Credit by Waiver, the applicant must be accepted for admission to a College degree program and enrolled in credit classes. Students requesting Credit by Waiver must complete an application for Credit by Waiver and supply supporting documents such as competency reports, proficiency certificates, or training records.

Credit granted by Waiver and Examination or any combination of Waiver and Examination may be awarded up to limits established by each division/department of the College but not exceeding one-third (3/4) of the total credit hours required for a program award. The application must be submitted for evaluation to the campus division/department responsible for teaching the course. Upon successful completion of the evaluation, both the application and evaluation will be submitted to the campus Registration & Records Office for recording credit on the student’s transcript.

Courses in which credit is granted by waiver will be recorded on the transcript with a “CW” grade and will not be included in calculating a student’s GPA. Credit granted by waiver is subject to evaluation by other institutions and may not be accepted for transfer credit.

Credit by Examination

Some courses may be completed by examination. Testing devices and evaluation procedures will vary according to the course, division requirements and the amount of credit being advanced. To apply for Credit by Examination, the applicant must have been accepted for admission to a College degree program and enrolled in credit classes.

Applications for Credit by Examination are submitted to the division responsible for teaching the course. An application for Credit by Examination must be completed and submitted to the campus Registration & Records Office for all credit granted as “PX” (Passed by Examination) on the transcript. No grade points will be awarded, and the Credit by Examination will not be included in the cumulative GPA.

Credit granted by Waiver and Examination or any combination of Waiver and Examination may be awarded up to limits established by each division/department of the College but not exceeding one-third (3/4) of the total credit hours required for a program award. Applicants for Credit by Examination must pay 50% of the current per credit hour tuition rate for each credit hour attempted by examination, prior to the examination.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Students interested in CLEP testing should contact the Lincoln Campus Testing/Assessment Center at 402-437-2626 for information and testing arrangements.

CLEP subject exams cost approximately $90 per examination plus a $25 proctor fee. Some colleges do not accept CLEP credits as transfer credits. Transfer students should carefully investigate minimum CLEP scores established by other colleges.

To have CLEP credit posted to an SCC transcript, a student must have been accepted for admission into a college degree program and enrolled in credit classes.

SCC administers the CLEP at the Lincoln Campus, 8800 O St., in the Testing/Assessment Center. Each program has established a list of courses for which CLEP scores will be accepted for credit by examination. Minimum CLEP scores vary from exam to exam; therefore, students should request a list of these minimum scores. Credits granted through a CLEP exam will not apply toward load requirements for extracurricular activities, veteran’s benefits, or scholastic honors. Only SCC students may have CLEP scores recorded on their SCC transcripts. Acceptable CLEP credits are recorded as PX (Pass by Examination).

Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit Courses

Dual enrollment programs often referred to as “dual-credit programs,” or “Career Academies” are intended to meet the needs of the academically and technically advanced high school student. These programs are designed to meet the Nebraska Dual Enrollment standards. Students who want to earn college credits while still in high school can do so by enrolling in a college course that is offered at an SCC location, online, or other designated locations such as a high school where courses are being offered.

Regardless of location, a dual enrollment/dual credit college course will follow the same requirements, rigor, and standards as a course taught at an SCC location. Students in high school may be granted high school credit for the college course, but the decision to award high school credit is the responsibility of the high school district. If a course is accepted by the high school, the course then becomes a “dual credit” course, earning college credit and high school credit for the same course.

Southeast Community College offers many college courses that may transfer to four-year colleges and universities. Students need to check with the receiving institution to see which courses will transfer. Many career education courses will apply to an SCC Program of Study.

Many of these opportunities are provided through partnerships with local high schools. Please visit the following websites for further information.

The Southeast Nebraska Career Academy Partnership is a partnership with high schools in SCC’s 15-county service area. www.southeast.edu/sencap

The Career Academy is located at the SCC Lincoln Campus and is in partnership with Lincoln Public Schools. home.lps.org/tca/

Secondary schools interested in discussing criteria for articulating dual enrollment classes may contact the Administrative Director of Career Academies & K-12 or the Administrative Director of The Career Academy.

Registration Procedures

It is recommended that prior to registration, students consult with an advisor. Advisors help students understand degree requirements and maintain knowledge of transfer articulation agreements, program requirements, and regulations. They assist students in developing meaningful educational goals that are consistent with personal interests, values, and abilities. Effective academic advising helps the student identify resources for greater academic success, navigate immediate questions and concerns, and help with future planning.

How to Register for Classes

Newly Declared Students (students who have been admitted into a Program of Study):
Information about registering for classes will be sent to students who are newly declared in a program.

Returning Students in a Program of Study
Returning students may register in person at the Registration & Records Office or online using their SCC account at thehub.southeast.edu. For additional help registering, students are encouraged to contact an advisor, go to the Registration & Records Office on campus or contact the Registration & Records Office at 402-437-2605 or via email registration@southeast.edu.

Visiting Students (students who have not applied for admission to SCC):
After completing the online application for Visiting Student status, visiting students may register in person at the Registration & Records Office or online using their SCC account at thehub.southeast.edu. For additional help registering, students can contact the Registration & Records Office at 402-437-2605 or at registration@southeast.edu.

Advising for Visiting Students is available through the Discovery Center on campus. To contact an Advisor or make an appointment please call:

  • Beatrice: 402-228-8242
  • Lincoln: 402-437-2620
  • Milford: 402-761-8202

Registration information is distributed each term by Registration & Records. It is each student’s responsibility to become familiar with registration schedules, deadlines, completion of registration forms, and any required signatures. Students who do not have a hold on their account are allowed to register for classes when registration begins. Refer to www.southeast.edu/registrationandrecords for more information.

Non-Credit Students
Students registering for non-credit classes through the Continuing Education Division may register through the Continuing Education website at www.southeast.edu/continuing/ and select the ‘REGISTER NOW’ link. For assistance, contact 402-437-2700.

Tuition Payment Deadlines
Tuition and fees must be paid by the first day of class. Failure to meet established payment deadlines will result in debt collection activity. The student is responsible for all unpaid balances. Outstanding balances must be paid before a student can register for any SCC course.

Students may enroll in the e-Cashier monthly payment plan. (See Tuition Payment Policy-Financial Planning or www.southeast.edu/financialaid.)

Dropping, Adding or Withdrawing from Courses

Dropping a Course (Student-Initiated)
Students may initiate a drop from a class/es prior to the deadline for dropping classes (see deadline dates and refund information on The Hub on the Registration page.)

To drop a class(es), a student must:

  1. Drop the class online using their SCC account at thehub.southeast.edu. (be sure to print a written confirmation of your drop) or
  2. Submit an “Official Drop/Add Form For Credit Classes” available at www.southeast.edu/RegistrationandRecords to the Registration & Records Office located in the Student Affairs area.

Failure to attend classes does not constitute a dropped class.
Students must submit an official drop form prior to the drop or refund deadline to be eligible for a refund of any tuition or student fees. Failure to attend classes does not absolve the student from being financially responsible for tuition and fees associated with the student’s registration. Students can obtain an Official Drop/Add form from any Registration & Records Office or on The Hub.

NOTE: Students who have failed a class due to academic integrity or other disciplinary reasons are not eligible to drop or withdraw.

Important Drop Deadline Dates
The date on which 7.5% of the time has elapsed since the first day of the class will be:

  • The last date a student is allowed to register for a class for that term.
  • The last date a student can drop a class and receive a refund of tuition and fees for that term. Specific dates for individual classes are included in the Credit Class Schedule each term and on The Hub.
  • The date that all instructors are required to report students who have never attended class (“No Show” Students).

“No Show” Students
Under federal rules, the College cannot pay financial aid to students who never attend class. Financial aid will not be distributed to students who have been reported as never having attended class (“No Show” students).

“No Show” students will be billed and held responsible for payment and fees for classes they do not drop within the designated refunded period found on the Registration page on The Hub. (See Drop/Add).

“No Show” students will be removed from the class rosters, and no grade will appear on the student’s transcript.

Refunds for Classes
Please refer to the Financial Planning section of the College Catalog for complete information on refunds for tuition, and the return of Federal Financial Aid.

Adding a Course after Initial Registration

16-Week Term (Semester)

  • Students may add classes during the first week of the term without a faculty signature (either online or in person).
  • Students may add classes during the second week of the term with a faculty signature. (Complete an Official Add/Drop form which can be found in the Registration & Records Office or on The Hub).
  • Adding classes after the second week of the term requires the faculty AND the appropriate division dean or associate dean’s signatures.
  • Completed Official Add/Drop forms must be submitted to the Registration & Records office to complete enrollment in the course.

For Any Term Shorter Than 16 Weeks

  • Students may add classes during the first day of the course and the day immediately following that first day, without a faculty signature  (either online or in-person).
  • Students may add classes during the remainder of the first week in which the course begins, with a faculty signature. (Complete an Official Add/Drop form which can be found in the Registration & Records Office or on The Hub).
  • Adding classes after the first week requires the faculty AND the appropriate division dean or associate dean’s signature.
  • Completed Official Add/Drop forms must be submitted to the Registration & Records Office to complete enrollment in the course.

Waitlisting a Course

When a course section reaches its maximum capacity, it is possible for students to add themselves to a waitlist via Self-Service on The Hub.

Email Address
Students must have a current email address on file at Southeast Community College before adding themselves to a waitlist. To verify the email address is accurate, go to Self-Service on The Hub and select: the User Profile option under the User Options in the left-hand navigation menu or by clicking on your username in the upper right-hand corner. Review the personal email addresses listed, make necessary changes, and click->Update Email. Corrections are sent directly to the Registration & Records Office and are viewable online.

Waitlist Process
Students can add or remove themselves from a course waitlist through Self-Service. After selecting a class that is full, on the Plan Your Degree and Schedule Your Courses screen click the Waitlist button. Note: Students cannot waitlist themselves for classes if any of the following conditions apply:

  • Prerequisites have not been complete
  • The student is currently registered for another section of the class; students cannot waitlist themselves for multiple sections of the same course.
  • Tuition is owed to the College

Permission to register
When there is an opening in a class, the first student on the waitlist will be notified via email. The student can register for the section online by going to Self-Service->Student Planning->Go to Plan & Schedule->click the Register button. The student must register within the timeframe specified in the email.

One (1) day to register
When given permission to register, the student will have one day to register. At the end of this time, if a student fails to register for the designated class, the student will be removed from the waitlist and the next student is notified.

Removal from the Waitlist
Students can remove themselves from the waitlist by going to Self-Service->Student Planning->Go to Plan & Schedule->click the Drop Waitlist button.

Students are not charged tuition for courses in which they are waitlisted. Tuition charges will not be posted to the student account until the registration process is complete.

Additional Registration Information

Auditing a Course

Students planning to audit a course must complete a “Request to Audit a Course” form prior to the first class session. The student must pay the regular tuition and fees for the course but will not receive college credit. Tuition and fees paid for audit courses are nonrefundable. A grade of AU is assigned and cannot be changed without retaking the course for college credit. Students receiving financial aid or veterans’ benefits cannot count audited courses toward the minimum credit-hour requirement.

The Request to Audit a Course form is located at thehub.southeast.edu/studentsrvs/registration.

Prerequisites: A student may not be eligible to register for some programs/courses which have specific program prerequisites unless program/course prerequisites are met.

Arranged and Independent Study Classes

Students who register for any arranged classes or independent study classes must report to the instructor on the first day of each class at the beginning of the term. Students who register for any arranged or independent study classes after the term begins (adding classes with drop/add form) must report to the instructor within five (5) business days.

Maximum Course Load per term:
Students may not register for more than 19 credit hours in a single term without prior approval. Students in a declared Program of Study who desire to enroll in more than 19 credit hours must contact the Instructional Dean that oversees their Program of Study. Visiting students must contact the Associate Vice-President of Enrollment Management to request approval.

Address Changes

Address changes can be submitted via Self-Service on The Hub or by submitting a paper form obtained from the Registration & Records Office. Email addresses may be corrected following the same procedure.

Social Security Numbers

The College requests but does not require, that a student provide their Social Security number during the Admissions process. Students who do not provide a Social Security number during the Admissions process will be required to provide one for Federal Student Aid. For those registering students who are documented as “lawfully admitted aliens” who do not have a Social Security number, an alternate number will be assigned to distinguish their student records from others. These students will be required to complete a “Request for Student’s Taxpayer Identification Number” form, available in the Registration & Records Office. Either the Social Security number or the Taxpayer Identification number is required by the IRS student 1098T tax credits.

Students who do not have a Social Security number or Tax Identification number are eligible to take classes and be admitted to a Program of Study. However, students should be aware they may not be able to complete specific courses; clinical, cooperative experience, internship, or practicum experiences; or graduate from a Program of Study due to the inability to complete the special course and program requirements including, but not limited to, background checks and non-SCC agency requirements. Students who do not have a Social Security number are not eligible to receive financial aid.

A student’s Social Security number information constitutes an “educational record” under FERPA. The College will release that information only with the consent of the student or in those very limited circumstances when consent is not required by FERPA. Questions regarding Social Security or tax ID numbers should be directed to the campus Registration & Records Office.